Court rejects bid to save Louisiana Confederate monument

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal appeals court says a judge was right when he cleared the way to remove a Confederate monument at a north Louisiana courthouse. A local official applauds the decision but says the case probably isn’t over.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals again rejected claims Monday from the United Daughters of the Confederacy’s Shreveport chapter.

Attorney Dick “Dave” Knadler (NAYD-ler) says the chapter is considering its options.

Caddo (KAD-oh) Parish Commissioner Steven Jackson was in the majority on the commission’s 7-to-5 removal vote in 2017. He says the commission respects the group’s right to continue its appeals.

A federal judge in Monroe threw out the lawsuit last year.

A three-judge panel upheld that opinion, calling it “exhaustive and well-reasoned.” On Monday, the judges declined to reconsider.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News
25 WEATHER TRACKER FORECAST
Havana
Macomb
52°
Lincoln
Lacon
49°
Bloomington
47°
Connect with 25 News
watch live week
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content