Off-duty firefighters called in to help put out Normal garage fire

NORMAL, Ill. (WEEK) — Improper disposal of fireworks caused a garage fire overnight in Normal.

It broke out around 9:15 PM Thursday in the 400 block of Wildberry Drive.

Firefighters say they found smoke coming from the closed three door garage.

Off-duty firefighters were called to assist.

The garage sustained heavy smoke and heat damage, but damage estimates are unavailable.

No one was injured.

Investigators confirmed the origin of the fire was a trash can which showed remnants of firework debris inside.

The fireworks smoldered and ignited other materials within the garbage container which caused the fire.

“Whenever there is enough heat, a fire can start.  In this case, the firework debris was still hot enough to ignite surrounding materials rather quickly, but sometimes it can take hours before a firestarts,” said Matt Swaney, Public Information Officer for Normal Fire Department.

He adds, “Whether it’s firework debris, charcoal from a grill, or candles from a birthday cake, make sure the fire is out cold before disposal.  Completely submerge anything hot in a bucket of water and soak until thoroughly saturated.”

Normal Fire Department urges everyone to leave the fireworks to the professionals.   Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 16,900 outside fires.

John Kendall

John Kendall

More News
25 WEATHER TRACKER FORECAST
Havana
63°
Macomb
58°
Lincoln
Lacon
Bloomington
66°
Connect with 25 News
watch live week
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content