Peoria student selected for board of education student advisory council

PEORIA (WEEK) — A Peoria student is one of 11 new members to the Illinois State Board of Education’s 2019-2020 Student Advisory Council. 

Amir Sykes, a junior at Manual Academy, is the only student from the area named to the council, whose goal is to provide the board with diverse student perspectives on education issues, according to a press release. 

“Students’ voices have an important role in ensuring our education system is rooted in equity, quality, community, and collaboration,” said State Superintendent of Education Dr. Carmen I. Ayala. 

“I applaud the outstanding young people on this council for committing to give their time and efforts to improve Illinois’ education system for themselves and their peers.” 

“I cannot wait to get to know the members of this year’s council and hear what they have to say.” 

“The State Board is proud to welcome this fantastic group of students to Springfield,” said ISBE Chair Darren Reisberg. “The Student Advisory Council has provided valuable insight to the State Board for more than 40 years.” 

“I know we can learn from our students and offer them a rewarding insightful experience in public service in return.”     

The council will continue to develop the Student Voices microsite at www.isbe.net/studentvoices. The Student Voices site provides space for students to ask and answer questions and access resources about preparing for college and career. 

Jason Howell

Jason Howell

More News
25 WEATHER TRACKER FORECAST
Havana
45°
Macomb
43°
Lincoln
45°
Lacon
44°
Bloomington
43°
Chilly Mid-Week Weather

The chilliest air of the season arrives Wednesday with highs in the lower fifties with strong northwest winds making it feel chillier.  Temperatures climb to

Read More »
Connect with 25 News
watch live week
Top Stories
Scroll to top