(WEEK) — The Back to School Food Drive is happening and you can help support the Heart of Illinois United Way fill the backpacks.
The food collected will help feed kids in need every weekend. Back packs will be filled each Friday so they will have food to take home and eat.
We will be accepting donations at the WEEK studios, 2907 Springfield Road, East Peoria.
Stop by from 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.Tuesday through Thursday (Aug. 27-29) to donate.
Why are we doing this?
- 1-in-5 children in central Illinois are at risk of hunger.
- Each school year, 40 percent of public school students in our area are eligible for free or reduced school meals.
- When students rely on school for a majority of their meals during the week, they struggle with hunger over the weekend.
What to bring:
- Microwavable macaroni and cheese cups
- Microwavable single serve soups, stews or pastas
- Tuna or chicken lunch packs (shelf-stable, non refrigerated)
- Instant oatmeal
- Granola bars or cereal bars
- Snack or sandwich crackers
- Single serve peanut butter
- Fruit snacks
- Single serve apple sauce, fruit cups or pudding cups