WEEK Television, Inc., the NBC and ABC affiliate in Peoria, Illinois, has an immediate opening for an Assistant News Director to oversee news gathering and production of our evening and late-night newscasts. The candidate will be the manager in charge of the ABC HOI newsroom in the evening and will help guide producer teams and nightside reporters in the production of our newscasts. The ideal candidate will be a proven, dedicated, and hardworking broadcast and digital journalist with solid line producing experience, strong editorial judgment, consistent participation in building newscasts from start to finish.
- Oversee daily newscasts to ensure we serve our communities with relevant and compelling storytelling, story selection and production elements.
- Supervise reporters, anchors, videographers, and producers while reviewing scripts and rundowns and directing news coverage. Supervise digital producer in posting the latest news, updating continual coverage, and using online and social media resources to serve our readers.
- Direct breaking news and special event coverage to provide our viewers with the most important, relevant, and up-to-date information and video.
- Collaborate with News Director and other newsroom managers in the operation of the newsroom, planning of special coverage, special segments, and special events.
- Communicate clearly with overnight staff in the production of our morning newscasts.
- Enterprise compelling story ideas and contribute to daily editorial meetings.
Talents and abilities required:
- Proven track record of storytelling across multiple platforms.
- Continual history of at least three years of line producing successful, compelling, informative, and accurate newscasts.
- Ability to multi-task, perform well under pressure, experience managing breaking news while meeting deadlines.
- Problem-solver level experience in production of live newscasts.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to recognize strong video and experience to make the best use of it in building a newscast.
- Strong commitment to journalistic standards and ethics.
- Solid people skills with an emphasis on coaching and motivating.
- College degree in Broadcast Journalism or a related field.
- Ability to work afternoons and evenings on a regular, consistent basis.
WEEK-TV is a Gray Television station. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and link of their latest newscast to:
interim News Director
WEEK Television, Inc
2907 Springfield Road
East Peoria, IL 61611
WEEK Television, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.