Skip to Content

Homes evacuated, adjacent street shut down due to ‘major’ gas leak

PEORIA (WEEK) -- Multiple homes in the 1100 block of North University were evacuated as a result of a major gas leak at one of the homes.

According to a release from the Peoria Fire Department, firefighters were called to the area around 3:25 p.m.

Ameren reported a major gas leak at a home to responding firefighters, who used air monitoring equipment to measure the explosive limit of the gas. Firefighters also used positive pressure fans to vent the gas out of the home.

Ameren had power cut and gas shut off to the firefighter's arrival.

University between Main and Columbia Terrace was also shut down.

The release said a neighbor alerted the home's occupants to the smell of gas.

No injuries have been reported.

Author Profile Photo

25 News

Skip to content