NORMAL (WEEK) -- Illinois State University has issued a campus crime advisory after Normal Police responded to a report of shots fired in the 700 block of Franklin Avenue at around 9:30 p.m. Monday.
Police said there was no reported injuries or damage to property.
One shell casing was later found in the area. A witness reported seeing a white vehicle leave the scene with no other suspect information.
Police believe this to be an isolated incident. Anyone with additional information is encouraged to call Normal Police Department at (309) 454-9535, or McLean County Crime Stoppers at (309) 888-1111.
ISU Police also have these crime prevention tips:
- Use Redbird Safe Walk (309-438 WALK) or the Safe Redbirds App for walking escorts 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you. Avoid wearing headphones, talking or texting on your cell phone, or anything, which can distract you, including the excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Travel in groups and avoid going out alone at night.
- Plan the safest route to your destination; choose well-lighted, busy pathways and streets.
- If someone is bothering or harassing you, tell the person in a loud voice to STAY AWAY.
- Carry your cell phone with you and be prepared to call 911 with a suspect description.
- If you are a victim or witness, call the police immediately and try to remember as many details as possible.
- Call police immediately if you observe suspicious activity