PEORIA (WEEK) -- The COVID-19 pandemic will change up Bradley's move-in days slightly but the university said they still expect some traffic congestion.
In an emailed release, Bradley University said all students must sign up for a time slot during move-in in an effort to follow physical distancing guidelines.
"We've been scenario planning since March trying to figure out if this then what. So we feel like the plans we have in place are the best that we can, but it is going to require everyone to follow them," said University Spokesperson Renee Charles.
While some students will be arriving to the university on Wednesday and Thursday, the university said the bulk of the activity will be Friday-Monday -- with activity expected to begin around 7 a.m. and subsiding around 5 p.m.
With Interstate 74 over the Murray Baker Bridge closed, the university expects heavier than usual traffic coming up MacArthur hill.
Car greeters will be on hand and one of the first people to greet and provide information on the move-in process to families.
Volunteers won't be carrying anything and not physically moving students in --- therefore, a number of hand carts have been secured by the university at each residence hall. These volunteers will manage the check-in/out process of these carts as well as sanitizing them.
"We can't do that this year, so we have some volunteers who will be directing people to where they need to go and it's all no touch," said Charles.
All volunteers are also required to wear face masks and physcial distance.
The university also wants these parking restrictions to be known:
- No parking will be allowed on Bradley Avenue from University to Institute beginning at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, August 19 through Sunday, August 23.
- No parking will be allowed in the 800 and 900 blocks of Elmwood Ave., Visitor’s Lot, Duryea Lot, and Geisert Lot, beginning at 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 20 through Sunday, August 23.
- No parking will be allowed in Founder’s Circle (1400 block of St. James) beginning at 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 20 through the end of the semester.
- Southbound Elmwood at Main, St. James & Elmwood, and Northbound Elmwood at Bradley Ave. will be closed starting at 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 20 through Sunday, August 23.
- Eastbound Bradley at Institute, Southbound St. James at University, and the Fredonia & Institute entrances to Heuser Hall Lot will be closed between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Friday, August 21, Saturday, August 22 and Sunday, August 23.
More move-in information can be found on the university's move-in page.