NORMAL, Ill. (WEEK) — Improper disposal of fireworks caused a garage fire overnight in Normal.
It broke out around 9:15 PM Thursday in the 400 block of Wildberry Drive.
Firefighters say they found smoke coming from the closed three door garage.
Off-duty firefighters were called to assist.
The garage sustained heavy smoke and heat damage, but damage estimates are unavailable.
No one was injured.
Investigators confirmed the origin of the fire was a trash can which showed remnants of firework debris inside.
The fireworks smoldered and ignited other materials within the garbage container which caused the fire.